Being a parent isn't easy. When you combine working and parenting, it's downright difficult. After working a full day, you have to come home, cook, clean and spend quality time with the kids, all while hoping to get some sleep that night.

My blog will provide encouragement, information, and hopefully a few laughs to support working parents (myself included). Sign up with your email address if you'd like to get that encouragement and information directly in your inbox!

**This blog is very new so check back often (or subscribe by email) as I add more information.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Saying No

I am the type of person who likes to be involved in many activities. I often volunteer (or get volunteered) to do different tasks for committees or groups that I participate in.

Recently, I gave in to guilt (and probably a little peer pressure) and accepted a board position to a newly developed foundation. Initially the time commitment seemed small so I was sure I could handle it.

With two small children at home and a full time job, I stay very busy so I am not sure why I think it is a good idea to take on so many new things. After a few missed emails and meetings I could not attend due to scheduling, I realized I needed to walk away from the board position to let someone else do it right.

This was not an easy decision for me. I do not like to quit things after making a commitment. I do, however, make an effort to give 100% so when that was not possible it made it easier to walk away. Spending time with my family (and sleeping) are much more important to me at this point in my life.

I have decided to be okay with saying "no" from now on. I am confident that small word will help me be a better mom and relax a little more.

Where do you draw the line to find balance in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment